Your Ad Here

IBM AIX/UNIX system storage administration ksh/perl scripting

Saturday, March 28, 2009

How can I move my DVD-ROM or CD-ROM drive from one LPAR to another?

Question

How can I move my DVD-ROM or CD-ROM drive from one LPAR to another?


Answer

If you don't know which LPAR owns the CD-ROM drive, use the HMC manager or WEBSM tool.
Select the managed system and open "Properties".
Select the "I/O" tab. Look for the I/O device with the description "Other Mass Storage Controller" and read the "Owner" field. This will show the LPAR currently owning that device.

ON THE SOURCE SYSTEM:

1. Find the parent adapter of the DVD or CD device:


$ lsdev -Cl cd0 -F parent
ide0

2. Find the slot containing the IDE bus:

$ lsslot -c slot
# Slot Description Device(s)
U787B.001.DNWG2AB-P1-T16 Logical I/O Slot pci1 ide0
U9133.55A.105C2EH-V7-C0 Virtual I/O Slot vsa0
U9133.55A.105C2EH-V7-C2 Virtual I/O Slot ent0
U9133.55A.105C2EH-V7-C3 Virtual I/O Slot vscsi0

so PCI1 is the slot containing the IDE adapter and CD drive.

3. Remove the slot from this host:

# rmdev -dl pci1 -R
cd0 deleted
ide0 deleted
pci1 deleted


ON THE HMC:

Select the LPAR currently owning the CD-ROM, and in the Actions menu select:
Dynamic Logical Partitioning -> Physical Adapters -> Move or Remove
Select the adapter for "Other Mass Storage Controller" and move to the desired target LPAR.
This will perform a DLPAR operation on both the source and target LPAR.


ON THE TARGET SYSTEM:

Log in as root and run
# cfgmgr

The CD-ROM device should show up now
# lsdev -C | grep cd
cd0 Available 1G-19-00 IDE DVD-ROM Drive

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive

BlogCatalog